What is Gate?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an All-India examination administered and conducted in eight zones across the country by the GATE Committee comprising of Faculty members from IISc, Bangalore and other seven IIT’s on behalf of the National Coordinating Board, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development. The GATE score/rank is used for admissions to Post Graduate Programmes (ME, M.Tech, MS, direct PhD) in institutes like IIT and IISc etc with financial assistance offered by MHRD. PSUs too use the GATE scores for recruiting candidates for various prestigious jobs with attractive remuneration.
GATE is considered to be the standard examination conducted not only for post-graduation admissions but also for opening the gates of opportunities for several public sector enterprises and research organizations. Based on the score achieved in GATE, one can get admissions in IITs, IISc, NITs, who offer the abundant opportunity of campus placements with salary packages ranging from Rs. 6 lakh to 30 lakh. Also, on clearing the GATE, one can get a financial aid of Rs. 8000/- pm in the form of UGC scholarship.
If interested in management, a student can swing to the management line by doing a PG Diploma of 2 years in Industrial Engineering. There are some institutes in India who provides admissions to this programme on the basis of GATE score.
Advantages of GATE
- M.Tech – Campus placements in National and International private or public companies.
- Scientists “C” grade jobs
- Several reputed PSUs and research organizations recruit on basis of GATE Score. i.e. IOCL, NTPC, BHEL, PGCIL, BARC etc.
- Teaching: Professor, Asst. Professor at IITs, NITs, reputed educational institutes etc.
- Career in Research & Development
- Junior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Senior Research Fellow: ISRO, DRDO, BARC, CSIR, IITs etc.
- Junior Research Associates/ Senior Project Associates
- Technical value addition
- Expertise in subject/domain specialization