How to prepare for IES
Indian Engineering Services comprise of engineers who work under the government of India and designated as Class – 1 officer. They administer a large segment of the public sector economy, which constitutes of Indian Railways, Power, Telecommunications, Central Water engineering, Defense service of Engineers, Central Engineering Service, etc. The nature of work performed by these bureaucrats largely depends on their engineering branch and the service or cadre they are recruited in. The career progression goes smoothly attaining high esteem. The first position offered is that of Asst. Executive engineer and the hierarchy ends at the position of Chairman/ Managing Director. A combined competitive examination is conducted by the Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) for recruitment to the Indian Engineering Services. The Examination constitutes of a written examination followed by an interview for the personality test. The recruitment of qualified candidates is made under the following categories:a. Civil Engineering b. Mechanical Engineering c. Electrical engineering d. Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- ESE written exam consists of both objective and conventional type questions hence theory, conceptual knowledge and problem-solving techniques are equally important.
- Good writing skills, good presentation, subjective theory, explanations, derivations, diagrams, and equations will fetch you good marks in a conventional or subjective paper.
- Be aware of exam pattern like how many technical & non-technical questions are asked, negative marks weightage, exam duration, and marks per question.
- Always make a habit of referring previous year question papers.
- Adopt Reference books for derivations, equations, conceptual thinking, theory etc.
- Short Cut Techniques: Traditional methods to solve numerical problems is time taking process, try to adopt shortcut techniques to save the time.
- Reading newspaper, good grip on English language and current affairs will help in scoring more marks in General Ability paper carrying 200 marks.
- Never neglect General Ability part as this section is scoring and also plays an important role in the personal interview.
- Practice previous year question papers and analyze in which topics you are weak and concentrate more on those topics. Always try to solve the papers in a given time to obtain the idea that how many questions you are able to solve in given time limits.
- Deep knowledge of the subject, strong basics, clear concepts helps in better understanding of the subjects and proved to be instrumental in getting good scores.
- Personal Interview : Sound technical knowledge, positive attitude, body language, Good communication skills, Hobbies and General Awareness Knowledge plays an important role to clear personal interviews.
Engineering Services Exam involve engineers who work under the legislature of India and assigned as Class – 1 officer. They regulate a substantial portion of the open division economy, which establishes of Indian Railways, Power, Telecommunications, Central Water designing, Defense administration of Engineers, Central Engineering Service, and so on. The idea of work performed by these civil servants to a great extent relies upon their engineering branch and the administration or framework they are selected in. The profession movement goes easily accomplishing high regard. The primary position offered is that of Asst. Official specialist and the chain of command closes at the situation of Chairman/Managing Director.
A consolidated focused examination is led by the Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) for enrollment to the Engineering Services Exam. The Examination comprises of a composed examination pursued by a meeting for the identity test. The enrollment of qualified competitors is made under the accompanying classes:
4.Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering